MOCpages : Share your LEGO® creations
Help  
Sean's blog
 
Can I do this? What about that?
OK... a LOT of people have been e-mailing me about "Can I put this on my page?" "Can I do that?" "What if I do this instead?" "Why did you delete my page?"

It's really simple, and I'm not trying to be some kind of evil MOCpolice... I just want to make sure that MOCpages doesn't turn into a sort of digital junkyard full of all kinds of different things. People like MOCpages because it's a place to see cool LEGO creations, and I want to make sure it can stay that way!

Basically, when people visit MOCpages and click on a page, they expect to see a LEGO creation. Anything other than than is bothersome and distracting.

Think about it this way. Imagine you went to YouTube and searched for "LEGO Indiana Jones Video". You see a lot of results, and click on one called "Best Indy Stuff". But instead of seeing a great video, all you get is a slide that says "go look in the comments for links to my favorite videos". That might be a little annoying, but so what. You go back and click on another one. But it's the same thing, by someone else! After you keep clicking on more videos and getting the same kind of stuff, you'll get pretty frustrated. "How can I tell which videos are really videos? Where's the actual STUFF ??"

That's what happens on MOCpages when you create pages that don't showcase your LEGO creations.

So, can you do other things with your pages? Sure!! Sometimes people sell photos of that creation, or sell that creation itself. Sometimes people link to real-life inspiration for that creation. Somtimes you can download LDD files of that creation. Sometimes people link to other people's creations that they used as inspiration for that creation. The subtle difference is that the MEAT of the page is still all about the LEGO creation.

Imagine if you created a page that was "here are my inspirations" and listed all sorts of stuff that you like (cars, favorite car LEGO creations, car movies... etc...) Who cares? No one would be happy clicking on that page because they'd expect to see a creation, but just get a bunch of other stuff. BUT! ... what if ALONGSIDE your LEGO creation you said, "here is my inspiration for THIS creation"? Suddenly it has meaning and relevance and can be interesting to visitors. Visitors can see what you think and what interests you. They can get interested in what you're interested in!

It's a subtle but important difference. I hope it makes sense.

posted by Sean  # Thursday, October 30, 2008
Archives

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]